What is GetyourGuide
Unquestionably part of the most popular industry leaders in the market is GetYourGuide (also known as GYG). They provide a great return to businesses and provide one of the world's largest sources for activities, tours, and attractions. Founded by four classmates in Zurich, Switzerland, back in 2009, this OTA has spread and aimed to have a presence across the globe. Today they have offices all across the world.
Since their beginning, they were committed to creating amazing experiences. GetYourGuide guarantees travelers destinations that they will truly love. What sets this online travel agent apart is the way it presents results. Instead of listing products based on the type of activities, they list tours and activities based on location and certain attractions.
The advantage of this? Tour operators get the chance to list activities based on the location, instead of on what they consist of in specific. This is a more general criterion and it allows business owners to reach a larger audience through exposure in front of potential clients looking for things to do in a certain location and that could open them up to try new activities.
Why sell on GetyourGuide
By now it's pretty clear that GetYourGuide differentiates itself from the rest of the leading OTA's. They work with professional suppliers and local destination services from around the world and offer their visitors a simplified experience while browsing and booking activities. Now, let's review the top benefits that they can offer you as a tour operator:
- More bookings: Like any other online travel agent the main attractive feature of this OTA is that they'll present your activities and/or tours to a larger group of people. GetYourGuide reaches a massive audience through their own website and with the help of over 1,000 distribution partners across the planet.
- Worldwide exposure: Their global exposure will allow your business to reach customers that you can't access as the GetYourGuide platform is available in over 20+ languages. It’s easy for business owners to reach more people. Especially, if they are facing difficulties with locally-optimized websites that are not reaching a high number of international clients, or only have a few languages available.
- Free marketing: You want your sales to take off, and GetYourGuide wants that too. For this reason, they offer brand promotions for free. Their marketing strategy is free of charge and consists of increasing your company's online visibility through prominent brand placement (which includes free advertising) and allowing potential customers to communicate directly with your business.
- Product optimization: Attractive marketing strategies don't stop here. Another notable advantage of this OTA is that, additionally, they optimize the products you upload for free. They'll do the hard work for you and optimize your products for the market properly. That way they increase the chances for your tours and activities to appeal to a greater number of travelers.
- Translation services: The different approach of this OTA relies on their hard efforts in making your products be noticeable. Their team of language experts allows your products and services to reach a wider audience through their extensive partner network by presenting your products to different people using familiar terms that vary according to where they come from.
Things to remember
This OTA offers a wonderful system filled with perks that local tour operators can enjoy and use to grow their business. Before you go ahead and sign up, here are three things you should take into consideration:
- Variable commission rates: They work on a commission-based manner, which means that there are no fixed fees and your business will only pay a commission once you sell a product. Upon approving your application, the team will get in touch with you to discuss commission rates. You can expect the ranges to vary from 20% to 30%.
- Application process: Anyone can sign up, but that doesn't necessarily mean that everyone can upload their products. GetYourGuide will check your application upon registering. So, be careful about the information you provide them as it could make or break your chances of accessing their network.
- Standard cancellation policy: GetYourGuide strongly advises partners to adhere to their standard cancellation policy. It consists of a full refund if a customer cancels up to 24 hours before the beginning of the activity, and a no-refund policy if the cancellation happens less than 24 hours before the beginning of the activity (or it's a no-show). They only accept a different cancellation policy in exceptional cases.